Courageous Color Workshop with Denali Brooke
October 17 @ 10:00 am - October 24 @ 4:00 pm
Two Saturdays, October 17th and 24th from 10 am-4 pm
$160 for CAE members/$180 for non-members
Announcing a unique 2-day workshop experience for pastel artists.
In her style of gestural mark-making and impressionistic broken color, Denali will demonstrate her method for layering color in pastel. Students will explore colors that might not be part of their current palette and gain a greater understanding of how their choice of color can enhance the life and energy of their painting. This workshop intends to provide exercises that will renew each student’s confidence in their pastel and color approach.
Denali is an international award winning pastel artist and instructor of figure drawing and pastel painting of landscapes, portraits and figures.
“Denali is one of the most generous and sincere humans you will meet. Her artwork will make you feel her energy; her teaching will help you find your way; and her determination and strength will inspire you.” ~ Dawn Emerson, International renowned Pastel and Mixed Media Instructor and Author of Pastel Innovations
Suggested Supply List:
- Two 9″x12” (or larger) sheets of “natural” colored UArt 400 grade or other light colored sanded papers. UArt (320, 280, or 240) will also work. More specifically, bring the sanded paper with which you are more comfortable. UArt is available in a 10 pack at Dick Blick, Jerry’s Artarama, and Dakota Art Pastels online. Any sanded pastel paper that can take several layers of color will do. A more expensive alternative is UArt Sanded Pastel Paper Boards, each piece about $10 more (but it won’t curl which UArt can do over time).
- Soft pastels – I use mostly soft pastels – Ludwig, Sennelier and Diane Townsend Terrages.
- I also use some Unison and a few hard Nupastels and Rembrandts to begin a painting and to blend. Bring both hard and soft pastels. No oil pastels.
- Rigid Work Surface and Floor Cover (to catch pastel under your easel)
- Rigid paint brush or foam brush – you can purchase a pack of foam ones at the $ store.
- Blending tools – Shaper, or other tool you use for line work or blending.
- Glassine (or equivalent) to protect your artwork.
- Vine Charcoal
- Pad of newsprint, 9×12 or larger
- Masking tape,
- Clips (whatever you use to secure paper to work surface)
- Handy or baby wipes/Paper towels
- Denali will provide images for this workshop. Please call with any questions! 505-362-7020